Sasserine’s heart, and perhaps even its soul, is lodged firmly in Merchant District. The first district most visitors reach, it’s often the only one they need ever explore. Merchant District shops run the gamut from simple grocers to specialized buildings like potion emporiums, dagger sellers, exotic pet dealers, and magic item bazaars.
Merchant District’s representative nobility are the Arabanis. Lady Anwyn Arabani is an eccentric noblewoman who has a strange fascination with drow, and even claims to have drow ancestors (although her relatively pale skin would indicate otherwise). She’s quite popular, as she goes above and beyond to ensure the people of Merchant District have fair representation in the Dawn Council. She entertains many suitors, but has yet to settle on a single person to share her estate.
The Merchant’s Watch is perhaps the most efficient of the seven watches. Corruption appears here and there, but the leadership is honest and does its best to maintain a crime-free environment. This is the busiest district in the city, and minor crimes are generally ignored, allowing the watch to focus its attention on larger problems. The Merchant Garrison isn’t the largest among the seven watches (that honor goes to the Champion’s Watch), but it’s certainly the most justly run of the seven.
If you’re from Merchant District, you could be from anywhere. You may have grown up in Sasserine, or you might have only recently come to the city on the decks of a ship from anywhere else in the world, in which case your reasons for staying can be as varied as your actual homeland. Natives of Merchant District likely come from merchant families, or grew up the children of innkeepers or bartenders. You’re probably a very social creature, and the thought of isolation or the natural world fills you with nervous fear. If you’re a cleric, you might worship Fharlanghn, but in actuality this district is a melting pot of faiths.
- Alma Telvanta (female human) An exotic and intriguing woman, Alma runs the prestigious Telvanta Dance Academy.
- Anwyn Arabani (female half-elf) Lady of Arabani manor and representative of Merchant District on the Dawn Council.
- Blisker Tittertop (male gnome) Blisker is the master of the Alchemist’s Guild; his mark can be seen on nearly every potion or alchemical item sold in Sasserine.
- Dhalven Miomar (male human) Lord of the Merchant’s Guild, Dhalven is a gifted public speaker.
- Lavinia Vanderboren (female human) Thrust into the responsibilities of nobility, young Lavinia’s parents perished in a terrible fire and her brother has vanished from the public eye, leaving her to tend to her estate’s needs all on her own.
- Lirali Woarali (female half-elf) Keeper of the temple of Fharlanghn, Lirali’s congregation is small, but she seems like a friendly-enough woman.
- Velkandar Toregson (male human) Eldest son of the Toregson family, Velkandar runs the Smith’s Guildhall.